Country: Italy Region: Piemonte Vintage: 2015
Category: White Wine Color: White
"When Antonio Deltetto took over from his father in his early twenties in 1977, he was fresh from university and full of new winemaking ideas that his father's meticulous cultivation of traditional varieties allowed him to develop. This spirit of innovation has stayed with him and he has passed this on to his children Carlo, Cristina and Claudia, who now all work for the estate.
The estate covers 15 hectares of vineyard in the Roero, the gently hilly region on the northern bank of the Tanaro. The soil is sandier in this area and, as a result, the wines are more aromatic and less structured than those from the Langhe hills on the south bank. The Favorita grapes (the same grape as Vermentino) for the 'Sarvaj' are from the eponymous vineyard in the Roero hills. The word ""sarvaj"" means ""wild"" and is a reference to the wild character of the Roero hills covered with vineyards and forests. It is exuberantly perfumed and lively on the palate. The Arneis from the San Michele vineyard, partly barrel fermented, is the most beguiling example of this grape variety we know. It is understated, delicately scented, long on the finish. Both are sealed under screwcap to preserve quality."
Winemaker: Antonio Deltetto
The grapes come from the San Michele vineyard, which was planted in 1975 and is the oldest Arneis vineyard on the family's estate. In the past a church was always built on top of a hill so that the saint could protect the harvest from any kind of natural disaster, thus the name for the Cru San Michele. Yields are 45 hectolitres per hectare.
The grapes underwent a short, cold maceration in order to extract more flavour and then 30% of the must was fermented in new French oak barriques at a temperature of 18°C, while the remaining 70% was fermented in cement and stainless steel tanks. The wine was then aged for six months in 30% French oak barriques and 70% in cement and stainless steel. The final blend was put together in spring before bottling.
Straw yellow in colour, with a bouquet of exotic fruit, apples and vanilla, the Roero Arneis has a minerally character which lifts the ripe, yellow fruit. A lively freshness on the finish gives excellent balance.
Food Suggestion: Excellent as an aperitif or paired with appetisers and first courses.
Closure: Stelvin ABV:13.5