Country: Austria Region: Kamptal
Vintage: 2020 Colour: White Style: Dry
PRODUCER Fred Loimer owns 80 hectares around Langenlois, in the sunny Kamptal region of Lower Austria. Fred attended Austria’s renowned Klosterneuburg University and gained valuable experience in Nahe, Germany and the Napa Valley before taking over the winery from his father in 1997. Unlike many Austrian producers who go for an overly rich and sweet style, Fred gets full ripeness in the vineyard yet ferments to dryness, managing to produce wines with lovely definition, zest and balance on the palate. VINEYARDS Situated at 200-400 metres above sea level, the climate of the Kamp Valley is characterised by cool nights and warm days, with a long, sunny autumn. The high summer temperatures are mitigated by the River Danube and the Waldviertel (forested area). Its long growing season, and the difference in temperature between night and day, gives the grapes a chance to reach full ripeness and develop fine perfumes and flavours. Soils here range from 'Gföhler gneiss', the primary rock comprising the hills of the Kamptal, covered by a layer of brown soil with some chalk running through it. Fertile loess and clay soils also appear in this area. The grapes for this wine come from fine old vineyards around Langenlois and nearby areas such as Zöbing, Gobelsburg, Schiltern and Mollands. Both young and old vines grow in gneiss (80%) and the remaining 20% are grown on gravel and loess.
Pale lemon white wine with excellent viscosity Clean, fresh bouquet of crushed gooseberries with green apples and hint of spice. Dry with a slightly oily character, broad and full bodied yet with refreshing acidity and good fruit support. Citrus fruits with ripe melon and a good weight of alcohol - long clean finish.
Food Matches: Goat Cheese / Caviar / Shellfish / Chinese