Country: France Region: Cotes Du Rhone
Varietal: Grenache (80%), Carignan (12%), Syrah, Counoise et Cinsault ( 8%)
Vintage: 2019 Colour: Red Style: Dry
Producer: Les Deux Cols
Les Deux Cols is a collaboration between 3 Irish men Simon Tyrrell, Gerard Maguire and Charles Derain (Irish with French origins!) … Les Trois Terroirs is the output of 2019, made in 2020, during the Covid pandemic, meaning that the guys could only make one trip to France. As a result, they made one blend, rather than the usual 2 cuvées, producing a very elegant and silky Côtes du Rhône
Location : Les Trois Terroirs is a representation of all our vineyards. One part is situated on two slopes in the hills above the villages of St Nazaire and St Gervais. These parcels are planted on a soil of sandy loam with a scattering of limestone pebbles. The orientations are different with one facing east and the other south. The third parcel is in an isolated location, on a gentle slope and surrounded by olive groves. The vineyard faces south across to the village of Vénéjan. The soil here is more dominated by clay over limestone, rich in iron oxide. All our vineyards are undergoing organic conversion.
Age of Vines : Grenache/Syrah 30+ years and the Cournoise/Carignan were planted in 1947.
Vinification : The alcoholic fermentation took place in stainless steel tanks and we kept the temperatures below 26˚C in order to preserve the maximum amount of purity and finesse. 85% of the bunches were crushed and destemmed and the remaining 15% was added whole bunch. 50% of the malolactic fermentation took place in 228 litre Burgundy barrels and 600 litre demi-muids, with a further aging of 6 months.
Tasting : The colour is deep and rich. The nose is pure, with notes of black fruits, spices and black olives. The palate is full and round with fine, ripe tannins and it has a vibrant finish