Country: Italy Region: Abruzzo
Varietal: Pecorino Vintage: 2022
Category: White Wine Style: Dry
Producer: Gran Sasso
The Gran Sasso wines are made by Valentino Sciotti and his team. Rino Santeusanio and Francesco De Santis are the winemakers, with Alberto Antonini acting as consultant. Together, they ensure that the wines have a freshness and vivacity that sets them apart from many in this area.
Product Features: Vegetarian Product Allergens: Sulphites Label
Winemaker: Valentino Sciotti
Pecorino is an indigenous grape variety planted almost exclusively in the Abruzzo and Le Marche regions. The 200 hectares vineyards are situated on calcareous clay soils with some layers of limestone. They are located at approximately 150 metres above sea level around the town of Orsogna close to the Majella Mountains in Abruzzo. The vines are between 15 and 20 years old and are trained with the pergola system.
To produce the Pecorino “Alta Quota” Gran Sasso grapes were carefully hand-picked and selected in the vineyards. At the winery grapes were gently crushed and cooled in order to help settling with skin-contact for about 12 hours at 3°C. Then, approximately 80% of the must was fermented into temperature controlled stainless steel tanks at 12°C and the remaining 20% in 40HL oak barrels. The wine remained in stainless steel tanks at a temperature of about 10°C to maintain its aromas before bottling.
This wine is straw yellow in colour with golden highlights. It is lightly spiced on the nose from the partial oak ageing which gives way to a fine, floral and ripe citrus fruit character on the palate. On the palate, the wine has good length with ripe pear characters continuing through to the finish.
Food Suggestion: Pairs well with fish and shellfish, chicken, pork and veal dishes with tomato sauces as well as with goat's or pecorino (sheep's milk) cheese.
Closure: DIAM Cork ABV: 13% Acidity [g/l]: 6.8