Country: Italy Region: Trentino-Alto Adige Vintage: 2015
Category: White Wine Color: White
Producer: Franz Haas
"The Haas family has been growing grapes in Montagna in the province of Bolzano for generations. However, it is only with Franz, the current proprietor, that they have begun to produce and bottle quality wines. Franz studied at Geisenheim in Germany before working as a broker of Italian wines in the German market. After several years, he took over the running of the family business.
Franz Haas goes to tremendous lengths to grow good grapes and then strives to preserve the flavours of the fruit during winemaking. As a result, the wines that he produces are infused with great character and show a rare purity and balance on the palate.
His Pinot Nero is one of Italy's best. It is light in colour yet intensely varietal on both the nose and palate, with a lovely tannin structure. Of his whites, the Pinot Grigio is very classy - the real thing - while the 'Lepus' (made solely from Pinot Bianco) is excellent. His flagship wine is 'Manna', a blend of 50% Riesling, 20% Traminer, 20% barrel fermented Chardonnay and 10% barrel fermented Sauvignon Blanc. The aromatic quality of the Riesling and Traminer come through in the glass, but they are given depth and texture by the subtle use of oak on the Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. It is one of Italy's best white wines."
Product Features: Sustainable;Vegan;Vegetarian
Winemaker: Franz Haas
Although the climate is Mediterranean rather than continental, the summers are very hot and the winters quite cold, as the weather is not moderated by any nearby water. In the summer, Bolzano is one of the hottest cities in Italy, despite being only 70 kilometres from the Austrian border, as the heat is trapped in the mountainous valley. Grapes are grown in three different vineyard sites in three different areas on the hillsides of the village of Montagna. The sites range from 400-700 metres above sea level. All the vineyards are southwest facing, on soils that vary dramatically from one vineyard to the other. The Pinot Bianco deserved some more attention, so was rebranded in 2013 with a striking new label. 'Lepus' is part of the Haas family crest and is the Latin name for 'hare'.
70% of the must was fermented in temperature controlled stainless steel vats, with the remaining 30% in small oak barriques. Part of the wine underwent malolactic fermentation. The Pinot Bianco was aged on its lees for about five months before bottling for complexity and body.
The wine has a brilliant straw yellow colour. Its fruity, spicy aromas are reminiscent of ripe apples, field flowers and fresh bread crust. Strong and elegant in structure, the wine has a well-balanced acidity and is framed by a sweet, round richness and great length.
Food Suggestion: Pairs very well with starters such as fish, pasta and risotto, as well as dishes based on curry and light asian-style cuisine.
Closure: Stelvin ABV:13.5% Acidity [g/l]: 5.5