Country: Italy Region: Puglia Vintage: 2018
Varietal: Nero di Troia Category: Red Wine Colour: Red
Producer: Cantina Diomede
"Cantina Diomede, which controls 200 hectares of vineyard, is based in northern Puglia, close to the town of Canosa. Consultant winemaker Filippo Baccalaro works closely with oenologists Massimo di Bari and Luca Pugliese to obtain high quality, healthy grapes. Most operations are carried out manually, and the management of the vineyard follows an organic approach. The Lama di Pietra, made solely from Nero di Troia, has red fruit aromatics and is full bodied yet perfectly balanced on the palate.
The word Canace is made out of the first syllable of Canosa di Puglia, where Cantina Diomede is based, and Acerenza in Basilicata. This is explained by the fact that 85% of the blend is Nero di Troia from Canosa and the remaining 15% is Aglianico from Acerenza. The wine is vinified in concrete tanks, where it is kept for about eight months, followed by 12 months in large French oak barrels. The Aglianico adds acidity and complexity to the Nero di Troia, with the resulting wine being rich and full- bodied with
silky tannins and a spicy finish."
Winemaker: Massimo di Bari, Luca Pugliese
The name "Canace" comes from "blending" the initial syllables of the towns where the wineries are located - Canosa, in the hills north of Bari in the DOC Castel del Monte area, at 480 metres above sea level, and Acerenza in Basilicata. Soils are calcareous and rocky, and vines are VSP and guyot trained, with a density of 3500 per hectare.
Grapes were left to partially dry on the vines. Upon arrival at the winery, the fruit underwent a maceration of 15 to 20 days and fermentation took place at a controlled temperature with selected yeasts. The wine was vinified in concrete tanks, where it was kept for about eight months, followed by 12 months in large French oak barrels.
Deep red in colour with hints of violet. The complex bouquet offers warm spices, cocoa, coffee, liquorice and ripe berry fruit. Soft and velvety on the palate, the full-bodied Canace has a fresh acidity from the Aglianico, balanced with elegant tannins and lingering spice.
Food Suggestion: Savoury dishes, red meat, aged cheese, game and lamb.
Closure: Natural Cork ABV:13.5%