Varietal: 90% Tempranillo, 5% Graciano 5% Mazuelo,
Vintage: 2014/17 Colour: Red Style: Dry
Producer: Marques De Riscal
This wine is produced on a very limited scale and only in the best vintage years, in which the character of the vineyard, the soil and the variety are expressed as part of a single, harmonious whole. This 2016 is the most current vintage of Baron De Chirel, it's 65% Tempranillo, the other 35% is a mix of old vine indigenous grapes. The grapes come from the area of Elciego, from the vineyard plots of Garcimoracho, Tapias, San Pelayo, Vialva and La Collada. The altitude of these vines ranges from 450 m to 550 m. above sea level. Soils from chalky clay areas and gravelly terraces of the river Ebro with limestone bedrock.
Yields are very low and grapes are harvested by hand. After careful selection of the grapes, (since 1995 this has been done grape by grape on sorting tables), they proceed to pressing and vinification. Alcoholic fermentation takes place in French Allier oak vats at 79F, each vineyard separately. The wine is transferred to French Allier oak barrels for aging over a period of 22 months. Then, after barrel-aging and once bottled, the wine remains for a minimum period of 20 months in the bottle before release.
This wine is a dark cherry colour, lively with few signs of evolution. High aromatic intensity in which the toasted and spicy aromas from the French oak predominate, together with ripe, dark-berried fruit. In the mouth, it is fresh and smooth with soft, polished tannins in which the wood is not too intrusive. Complex and elegant with a long, balanced finish.
Food Matches: This wine pairs well with red meat, casseroles and charcuterie