Country: Spain Region: Ribera del Duero Varietal: Tempranillo
Vintage: 2018 Colour: Red Style: Dry
Producer: Bodegas Arzuaga Navarro
The Arzuaga Crianza is the flagship of Bodegas Arzuaga Navarro. The Tempranillo variety with which this wine is made belongs to the oldest part of the estate known as La Planta. The Tempranillo variety, specifically, belongs 80% to the La Maquinilla vineyard, the oldest in the entire estate. There, at 911 meters of altitude, in clay-calcareous soils and with the limestone mother rock a meter from the surface, the roots struggle to find the land from which to feed. The remaining 20% comes from centennial vineyards of boulders and sandy soils, in the area of the province of Burgos.
When the grapes arrive at the optimum ripening point, frequently in mid-October, the clusters are harvested in 15 kg boxes, and then passed to a selection table and destemmed until they are covered in stainless steel tanks. After a few days cold macerating, they will ferment at about 27ºC and, receive a 16 month aging in barrels, 50% French oak and 50% American oak, until it becomes a fine and subtle wine.
Tasting Note: Its colour is cherry red dressed in violet hues. Its nose is powerful, of high aromatic diversity, with a predominance of ripe red fruits accompanied by spicy touches and balsamic notes, with a roasted finish. In the mouth it has great volume, the balanced tannins, making the Arzuaga Crianza an example of elegance and personality.
Food Matches: Venison / Game / Risotto / Lamb