We pulled the whole team at WIneOnline.ie together last week, to pick out the favourite straight varietal wines from the summer season. It was a tough job to narrow down the selection to just six, because we had 18 to start!
But... Here it is, six of our favourite wines from the sumer, all straight varietals - a Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Chianti, Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, a reserve Malbec from Argentina and finally a Pouilly Vinzelles from Joseph Drouhin in Burgundy. They are all awesome, and you will definitely discover something new with this selection box, that perhaps you didn't know of, or rate before this. We'd love to hear how you get on.
Normally priced at €122.50, but just €90 this weekend. You can Share with friends, send as a gift. Your case of 6 bottles will include the following:
- 1 x Pencarrow Pinot Gris - 3 time Gold Medal winner at the Air New Zealand Wine Show. Made by the famous Palliser Estate - this is dry with ripe sweet fruit on the palet.
- 1 x Lindauer Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand's most famous Sparkling Wine comes from Lindauer Estate and here is an opportunity to taste New Zealand's answer to champagne, at a fraction of the price. It is sublime, awesome and simply..... just taste it!
- 1 x Joseph Drouhin Pouilly Vinzelles - This time, it's Burgundy's most famous name, Joseph Drouhin. Located next to Puilly Fuisse, This is a serious wine, clean with superb minerality and a long lingering finish.
- 1 x Domaine Montarels Pinot Noir - When Fabienne Capello first made this wine 5 years ago it wasn't right. she never released the wine. In the fifth year, 2015, she rested the wine in barrels for a few weeks and it was the golden touch the wine needed to bring out the flavours. She released it to us first and we import it now exclusively in Ireland. It is top class Pinot Noir worthy of a place amongst the big guns.
- 1 x Andean Malbec - You'll find this is the Reserve Malbec of choice in Azador Restaurant in Dublin - who are serious about Steak and Malbec. It's brilliantly integrated, with lovely supple oak flavours that are always balanced. Plum spice, and all things nice!
- 1 x Trambustini Gonfalone Chianti - Will at WineOnline finds it hard now during any tasting, to leave Chianti out. The use of 100% Sangiovese brings its own unique characteristics to each and every bottle of Chianti. There are earthy flavours, medium tannins, lovely fruit flavours and really high acidity, so much going on all at once.