PL Award 1: SILVER - DWWA 2016
Country: Italy Region: Friuli-Venezia Giulia Vintage: 2015
Category: White Wine Color: White
"The Specogna family now has 20 hectares of vineyard on the hill of Rocca Bernarda in the heart of the Colli Orientali DOC zone. Their vineyards are beautifully tended by Michele and Cristian Specogna, so the quality of the fruit they bring to the winery is impeccable. As a result, they are keen to get as much flavour as possible from the grapes.
Due to the quality of the fruit, they are able to macerate the skins in the must for 18 to 24 hours prior to fermentation. This gives a Pinot Grigio that is 'ramato' (coppery) in colour and a wine that displays a remarkable intensity of flavour. For the Friulano, the grapes are very ripe before picking, to maximise fruit character. Twenty percent of the must was fermented in barrel, with lees stirring every 20 days to add complexity and mouthfeel."
Winemaker: Cristiano & Michele Specogna
Grapes for the Specogna Friulano are grown on a small three hectare vineyard planted in 1970, approximately 110m above sea level on a north-east facing slope. The soils here are limestone and marl. Vines are planted at a density of 4,000 vines per hectare.
Specogna waits until the grapes are very ripe before picking, to maximise fruit character. After destemming and crushing, the must was chilled to 7-8°C and then macerated on the skins for 12 hours at approximately 10°C. 80% of the must was fermentated in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks at 15°C and the remaining 20% was fermented in barrel, both with lees stirring every 20 days. The wine remained on the lees for eight months until blending and bottling.
Intense golden yellow with youthful emerald hues. Well-rounded, spiced aromas with varietal characteristics on the nose such as citrus fruit, almonds, walnuts, exotic fruit and a touch of white peach, complemented by sage and white pepper. A powerful, structured wine, with good acidity, a well-orchestrated fruit and spice complexity and a long, elegant finish.
Food Suggestion: Serve with pan-fried white fish on a bed of rocket leaves.
Closure: DIAM Cork ABV:13%