Country: France Region: Roussillon Vintage: 2014
Category: White Wine Color: White
Producer: Notre Dame des Anges
"Notre Dame des Anges is a joint effort between the best growers of Collioure (the wine takes its name from Collioure's bell tower) and Domaine Cazes. Each grower contributes just one or two barrels' worth of grapes to the blend, which is vinified by Emmanuel Cazes. Each bottle is individually numbered. The terraced vineyards perch high above the Mediterranean Sea, around fifteen kilometres north of the Spanish border. The profits from the wine sales are used to restore the Collioure terraces, to ensure that these top quality vineyards are preserved for the future.
The combination of low-yielding old vines, poor schistous soils and the fact that the vineyards are literally being eroded into the sea, mean that Collioure wines are extremely rare.
The Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Carignan grapes are sourced from old bush vines, which give great concentration to the wine. The heady dark fruits are followed by touches of herbs, vanilla and spice complexity and taut ripe tannins, which make for a powerful, long lasting finish. Made only in very small quantities from old Grenache Blanc and Grenache Gris vines, the Collioure Blanc is delightfully lively and fresh, with aromas of white flower blossom and complex smoky, salty, peppery notes from the three months spent in new 300 litre French oak barrels."
Product Features: Vegan;Vegetarian
Product Allergens: Sulphites Label
Winemaker: Emmanuel Cazes
The terraced vineyards perch high above the Mediterranean sea, 15 kilometres north of the Spanish border. The Grenache Blanc and Grenache Gris grapes are sourced from old bush vines, which give huge concentration to the wine. The combination of low yielding old vines (15 hl/ha), poor schistous soils and the fact that the vineyards are literally being eroded into the sea means that Collioure wines are extremely rare.
The grapes were hand picked and destemmed before a soft, slow pressing took place. Fermentation took place at low temperatures to retain the aromatic character of the grapes. 80% of the wine matured in stainless steel vats with the remaining 20% aged for three months in large 500 litre new French oak barrels.
Bright straw-yellow in colour with a green tint. The delicate bouquet shows white flowers and touches of smoky sea salt. Medium to full bodied, with great complexity of flavour and lovely balancing acidity on the long finish.
Food Suggestion: Mediterranean fish, seafood risotto and fine cheeses such as Cantal.
Closure: Natural Cork ABV: 14% Acidity [g/l]: 3.44